Irritable bowel syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome or IBS is a very common condition and is on rise.
There are a number of symptoms that could be linked to having the Irritable bowel syndrome or IBS. The common of them include:
- Change in the stool frequency
- Change in the consistency of the stool (Can be liquid/semisolid/hard)
- Abdominal pain that gets better after passage of stools or gases
Warning signs in IBS
- Age >= 50 Years
- Evidence of bleeding from gastro-intestinal tract
- Nocturnal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Unintentional weight loss
- Lump in abdomen
- Family history of cancer
- H/O blood transfusion/ iron deficiency anemia on routine testing/ positive fecal occult blood
Causes and Risk Factors
There could be several triggering factors of the irritable bowel syndrome. The main triggers are associated with food and stress. IBS can be secondary to infection of the gastrointestinal tract.
Young age, female gender, stress and anxiety predispose to IBS.
Treatment for Irritable bowel syndrome involves lifestyle changes and medications.
Stress reduction, significant diet changes along with other lifestyle changes suggested by doctors are to be followed as recommended. Consuming diet that is rich in fiber, exercising daily, consuming enough water, limiting diets like dairy, quitting smoking, avoiding caffeinated drinks also is suggested.
Medication helps in lessening the bloating and pain, relief from constipation or diarrhea.